North East Sheep Shearing School
Time & Location
About the event
Dates: Saturday, March 14 & Sunday, March 15, 2020
Time: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Location: Stone & Thistle Farm, 1211 Kelso Road, East Meredith, New York 13757
Would you like to learn how to shear sheep? Whether you are a flock owner who is having a difficult time getting a shearer to come out or you have always wanted to do it yourself but were not sure where to start, this is the class for you. Take a weekend to learn sheep shearing. This class will give you the confidence to go home and get the job done. If you already know how to shear but are looking to take it to the next level, this class can do just that too!
Doug Rathke, a seasoned shearer, knows what it takes to learn the art of shearing and he knows what it takes to teach it on a level so it can be understood and retained. Whether you are a beginner or a more advanced shearer, there is something for everyone to learn. Many of those who have completed the course have gone on to earn additional income as custom shearers for nearby flocks.
What you will learn:
- Preparing for shearing
- Understanding & appreciation of shearing gear
- Selecting combs & cutters
- Setting up a hand piece
- Setting up the shearing work area
- Learning the basic shearing pattern and footwork
- Learning how to properly sharpen your tools
- Modifying the shearing pattern for different types of sheep
Students must have their own sheep shearing equipment as this is a hands-on school. Questions about equipment? Doug can help guide you.
- Early Bird Registration $195 (SAVE $20). Must have received payment by February 17, 2020 to get this price.
- Late Registration (after February 17, 2020) - $215
Doug also offers private sessions. E-mail email@example.com for more details on the one-on-one instruction and scheduling.
- Registration After 2/17/20$222$222Sold Out