National Sheep Shearing Academy
Time & Location
About the event
Doug Rathke, a seasoned shearer, knows what it takes to learn the art of shearing and he knows what it takes to teach it on a level so it can be understood and retained. Whether you are a beginner or a more advanced shearer, there is something for everyone to learn. Many of those who have completed the course have gone on to earn additional income as custom shearers for nearby flocks.
What you will learn:
- Preparing for shearing
- Understanding & appreciation of shearing gear
- Selecting combs & cutters
- Setting up a hand piece
- Setting up the shearing work area
- Learning the basic shearing pattern and footwork
- Learning how to properly sharpen your tools
- Modifying the shearing pattern for different types of sheep
- Thursday, April 18th from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Friday, April 19th from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Saturday, April 20th from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Course details: Upon completion of the course, you will receive the Shearing Made Easy DVD and a certificate of completion. Onsite, light snacks and lunches will be provided each day of the course.
This course requires your own equipment. Questions about equipment? Doug can help guide you.
Doug also offers private sessions. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on the one-on-one instruction and scheduling.
- Sheep Shearing School$495$4950$0