Become A Home Herbalist
Time & Location
About the event
With the Stay at Home order extended, we have a few changes with our Become A Home Herbalist course. First of all, do not panic, we promise we will make-up and learn about everything promised (and more!). You can still register for this life changing course!
- 2 class dates will be rescheduled once we meet in person on May 19th. I appreciate your understanding of all the changes since the delay is out of our control.
- I encourage you to watch this recored online class about Herbal Medicine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPU1h0KhsyM&t=1078s (This online class is on the basics of herbalism. In the Home Herbalist course, you will learn a lot more in depth as we continue.)
- Watch this early spring plant identification video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqW_ifhq9Q
- I will create videos for you to watch and learn from until we can meet in person. I will send you info on this as soon as possible.
- I would like to offer a special gift to all 2020 students: Making & Using Herbal Preparations card set. If you are curious what this is, you can read the description here: https://www.lambshoppe.com/product-page/making-using-herbal-preparations-simplified
- The first in-person class is now scheduled for May 19th @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. I hope we can keep this date.
Learn how to create your own herbal products for yourself and your family. Herbalist & Holistic Health Educator, Connie Karstens, MS will instruct a nine-month intensive program that will empower you, with knowledge and confidence, to become your own herbalist. This series of classes takes you through the seasons, so you can prepare an entire apothecary of safe, gentle and effective herbal products.
This program will include a solid foundation for plant identification, wild food foraging, numerous preparation techniques, and knowledge on proper usage. By the end of the class, not only will you have stocked your own botanical pharmacy, but you will know and understand how and why to use the herbal preparations that you have created.
This is a rare opportunity for hands-on learning and gathering plants with a local herbal practitioner. Sign up today to become a part of this amazing program! Certificate of Completion awarded.
This course contains 13 classes are scheduled between March and November. 9 classes are on Tuesdays from 6 pm – 9 pm and 4 classes are scheduled for Saturdays from 9 am – noon. All months have one Tuesday class per month. May, June and July have an extra Saturday class because of the abundance of plants to gather and make into preparations. This is only offered once a year.
2 class dates will be rescheduled once we meet in person on May 19th. I appreciate your understanding of all the changes since the delay is out of our control.
- Tuesday, March 17th from 6 pm - 9 pm POSTPONED
- Tuesday, April 21st from 6 pm - 9 pm POSTPONED
- Tuesday, May 19th from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Saturday, May 30th from 9 am - noon
- Tuesday, June 16th from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Saturday, June 27th from 9 am - noon
- Saturday, July 18th from 9 am - noon
- Tuesday, July 21st from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Saturday, August 8th from 9 am - noon
- Tuesday, August 18th from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Tuesday, September 15th from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Tuesday, October 20th from 6 pm - 9 pm
- Tuesday, November 17th from 6 pm - 9 pm
What to expect:
This course is essential for those wanting to take charge of their own health and who have a desire to become informed, educated and more independent. The class will explore the historical roots of herbal medicine and will help you learn how to use botanical medicines for basic natural healthcare. The student will gain an understanding of simple herbal aids for many common ailments and first aid uses. This course will teach the basics of preparing herbal medicines in your own home. You will also learn about planning, planting and using your very own medicine garden.
You will learn about the following over the 9 -month course:
- Fresh & Dried Tinctures
- Bark Tinctures
- Root Tinctures
- Medicinal Herbal Wines
- Medicinal Herbal Syrups
- Medicinal Herbal Teas
- Herbal Pastilles
- Herbal Lozenges
- Medicinal Vinegars
- Herbal Infused Honeys
- Herbal Oxymels
- Drying Herbs & Storing Herbs
- Freezing Herbs
- Make a “Green Jar”
- Oil Infusions
- Salves & Ointments and Formulas
- Herbal Hydrotherapy & Formulas
- Herbal Actions & Corresponding Herbs
- How to Put It All Together to Select Herb for Common Aliments
- Using Herbs Safely
This course will require some independent work and research. Along with quizzes, presentations and group collaboration, there will be a great deal of hands-on learning. By the end of the class, you will have well over 50 herbal preparations for your own personal herbal pharmacy. Plus, the knowledge on how to safely and effectively use every preparation that you made.
As a bonus, you will become well-informed on how to wild forage with common plants in the local area. We will do much hands-on collecting of plants for medicine and food. Also, a private Facebook group will be created for the class to ask questions and collaborate with each other. Open office hours will be held for those who have questions about the class material. These bonus opportunities are for students to gain the most out of this class.
Program Instruction Cost:
• $975 (check or cash only).
• Add $25 for credit card payments.
Payment plan option: 3 payments of $325 (May 19, July 18, September 15)
- Pay by mail$0$00$0
- Pay in full by credit$1,000$1,0000$0